Greater Works - Daily Devotional October 20th 2009

|
Daily Bible Reading - 2 Chronicles 12-13, Ezekiel 46, John 13-14

Greater Works

John 14:12-14 contains a powerful statement that Jesus made, it says, "'Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it'". Every time I read these verses I get so excited thinking about all the things Jesus did and then all the things that I can do but in even greater measure. Think about all the miracles, the healings, the signs and wonders. Wow there are so many of them as we read through the Bible.

This morning though as I read this passage again I am even more excited because I think I am starting to understand what Jesus was really saying. You see, like me I am sure most of you think or thought like I did. That I could do more miracles than Jesus and not just more but greater miracles, but then I have to stop and think what could be much better then raising a man from the dead that was already embalmed and in a tomb (John 11:38-44). If we stop for a moment and examine scripture we realize that Jesus did not come to earth to do the works of miracles (although he did those) but rather He came to do works of righteousness leading to salvation. Luke 19:10 says,
"For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost". The work of Jesus was salvation. Everything He did, every miracle, every work, dying on the cross, it was all for the salvation of humanity. These were the works of Jesus Christ.

Understanding now what the works of Jesus were re-read John 12:12-14. When Jesus says greater works, I believe He is saying that the best is yet to come. More people are going to be saved by how I live my life and what I do with my time here on earth. I have the opportunity to work greater works of righteousness and see more people come to God then Jesus did in His time here on earth. Soles being saved, people coming to know Jesus Christ are the greater works! Jesus said in this passage, "
and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father" (John 14:12). Now look at John 16:7, "Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you". Now Acts 1:8, "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth". Jesus said because I am going to my farther you are going to be able to do greater things. You will be able to do these greater things because the Holy Spirit will come and be with you and when He is with you, you will be a powerful witness of Me thus seeing more salvations than Me. This is the greater works!

Today as you meditate on this passage let's not just think about all the signs and wonders that might possibly be done through us that would be greater than what Jesus ever did. But instead let's have the mind and heart of Christ and truly do the greater works - the works of righteousness leading to salvations.

Tomorrows Bible Reading - 2 Chronicles 14-15, Ezekiel 47, John 15-16

Dream Big
Ben

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great insight on that scripture!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jo said...

Interesting, in reality who cares if you can walk on water if that didn't bring anybody closer to God.
Very interesting!